Sunday, July 7, 2019

Silver Guard for Gilbert Blakthorn

Gilbert

My twin Mala had been doing a bunch of blanks from the Macclesfield alphabet and it made me want to revisit that source. I was super pleased to find -- when I couldn't find my facsimile edition in the post-move book mess -- that the entire MS is online! The Dragon T I picked is on folio 10r; it was a choice between that and the "I" two folios earlier, but G saw both and told me to do the dragon, so there it is.

The text reads:

To all seeing or these present letters hearing both now and to come greetings from Vitus and Isabel king and queen of Drachenwald. It is our will and command and solemn desire that from this day henceforth Gilbert Blakthorn be numbered and counted amongst the company of the Silver Guard.

The text should have read "To all seeing or hearing these present letters" BUT at least once I realised I'd skipped "hearing" I was able to reconstruct a grammatical sentence.

The scroll took me 1.5 episodes of Great British Bake-Off to complete, using vellum I'd already pre-cut.


© 2019, Sara L. Uckelman.

No comments:

Post a Comment