Thursday, November 19, 2009

Blank Lindquistringes

MS Burney 355 f.1

At Kingdom University their majesties asked for some blank Lindquistringes scrolls. I don't normally like doing blanks, but since I was specifically asked by the king and queen, I said I would. I'd hoped to complete two before seeing them the next weekend, but only got one done, and it's one that I feel is very sloppy. (You need long arms for it to pass the "arm's reach" test). But it wasn't quite bad enough to scrap and throw away. It's just mediocre. It was done on two days, Nov. 17 and Nov. 19.

© 2009, Sara L. Uckelman.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Pelican for Robert of Canterbury

The beautiful illumination was done by Lady Trinite Ducalon (April Koenig), based on a grant by Elizabeth I. The calligraphy was done the day of the event; it took me about 2.5 hours. I knew in advance roughly how much space I had, and had printed out a text to work from. About 1/3 of the way through, I could tell I had way more text than I had space, and so had to correspondingly reduce things. The text is based on grants of arms at, those of John Aleyn 1454, John Alfrey 1459/60, and William Gough 1481.

The scan doesn't show completely the full scroll; there is another 5cm or so of blank space below the signature, for the addition of wax seals, which the recipient has said he intends to do.

© 2009, Sara L. Uckelman.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

AoA for Ulrich von Vielburgen


This is the first scroll to come out of my Visconti Hours project. I'd drawn out the bordure in advance, and then when I got the scroll assignment on a Tuesday for an event the following Saturday, I spent two nights painting in the border and doing the calligraphy (it would've taken just one night had I not gotten side-tracked adding the vermillion penwork to the border). I'm really happy with how this one turned out.

© 2009, Sara L. Uckelman.